- 2006 -present Lecturer, DIT
- 2009-2010 Postgraduate Certificate in Third Level Teaching and Learning
- 2003-2006 Assistant Lecturer, DIT
- 2001-2002 Research Chemist, Ipsen Manufacturing Ireland
- 1998-2001 PhD Chemistry
- 1994-1998 BSc (Hons) Chemistry
Dr. Dunne holds the BSc (First Hons) Chemistry from the National University of Ireland, Dublin (UCD) and was awarded her PhD in Chemistry from the same university for studies into the Design and Synthesis of Novel Carbohydrate-based HIV Protease Inhibitors. She subsequently worked as a research chemist in the pharmaceutical industry. She joined the School of Food Science and Environmental Health in 2003 as a lecturer in Food Chemistry and Analysis. She is the Chairperson of the Higher Certificate in Pharmacy Technician Studies (DT425).She holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Third Level Teaching and Learning and was awarded a DIT Teaching Fellowship in 2010. Her research interests include integration of technology, novel feedback mechanisms, peer learning, and employability in undergraduate science education.
- Carbohydrates derivatives as antimicrobials
- Novel approaches to undergraduate science Teaching and Learning
- Community based learning
Current Research Projects
- Synthesis and evaluation of fatty acid derivatives of carbohydrates as anti-microbial agents: Dr. Julie Dunne and Dr. Sarah Rawe
- Effect of feedback and use on blended learning in undergraduate science laboratories. Dr. Julie Dunne, Dr. Barry Ryan
- Integration of transferable skills in undergraduate science laboratories. Dr. Julie Dunne, Dr. Barry Ryan
- Use of blogs to enhance work placement, provide tutor and peer feedback and develop a community of practice in pharmacy technician education. Dr. Julie Dunne
Full Paper Publications:
- In Vitro antimicrobial activity and mechanism of action of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives against S aureus and MRSA.. Nobmann, P ., Bourke, P*., Dunne, J., Henehan, G.
Journal of Applied Microbiology 2010 doi:10.1111/j.1365-2672.2009.04622.x
- The antimicrobial efficacy and structure activity relationship of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives against Listeria spp. and food spoilage microorganisms. Patricia Nobmann, Aoife Smith, Julie Dunne, Gary Henehan, Paula Bourke*
International Journal of Food Microbiology, 128, 3, 2009, 440-445
- Synthesis and antimicrobial evaluation of carbohydrate and polyhydroxylated non-carbohydrate fatty acid ester and ether derivatives. Aoife Smith, Patricia Nobmann, Gary Henehan, Paula Bourke, Julie Dunne*
Carbohydrate Research, 343, 15, 2008, 2557-2566
- Syntheses of peptidomimetics based on pyranose and polyhydroxylated piperidine scaffolds. Paul V. Murphy* and Julie L. Dunne Curr. Org. Synth. 2006, 3, 403-437.
- Synthesis of Peptidomimetics Based on Iminosugar and Glucopyranoside Scaffolds and Inhibiton of HIV-Protease, Florence Chery, Linda Cronin, Julie L. O'Brien and Paul V. Murphy, Tetrahedron 2004, 60, 6597-6608.
- A general synthesis of iminosugars, Ciaran McDonnell, Linda Cronin, Julie L. O'Brien and Paul V. Murphy, Journal of Organic Chemistry 2004, 69, 3565-68.
- Synthesis of Novel HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors Based on Carbohydrate Scaffolds, Paul V. Murphy, Julie L. O'Brien, Lorraine J. Gorey-Feret, Amos B. Smith, III, Tetrahedron 2003, 59, 2259-71
- Structure Based Design and Synthesis of HIV-1 Protease Inhibitors Employing b-D-Mannopyranoside Scaffolds, Paul V. Murphy, Julie L. O'Brien, Lorraine J. Gorey-Feret, Amos B. Smith, III, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2002, 12, 1763-66
- Novel Synthesis of the Glycosidase Inhibitor Deoxymannojirimycin and of a Synthetic Precursor D-lyxo-Hexos-5-ulose, Julie L. O'Brien, Manuela Tosin and Paul V. Murphy, Organic Letters 2001, 3, 3353-6.
- Stereospecific synthesis of β-D-allopyranosides by dihydroxylation of β-D-erythro-2,3-dideoxyhex-2-enopyranosides, Paul V. Murphy, Julie L. O' Brien, Amos B. Smith, Carbohydrate Research 2001, 334, 327-335.
- A simple and effective separation and purification procedure for DNA fragments using Dodecyltrimethylammonium bromide McLoughlin DM, O'Brien J, McManus JJ, Gorelov AV, Dawson KA. Bioseparation 2000, 9 (5) 307-313
Full paper presentations:
- Dunne, J.L. Edulearn 2011, 4622-4630 Putting the student in charge: Adding value to the food chemistry laboratory through student generated experiments, integration of transferable skills, and peer and audio feedback. (ISBN: 978-84-615-0441-1)
- Ryan, B.J.* and Dunne, J.L. Edulearn 2011, 4507-4515 Integrating formative feedback into individual and group assessments in a first year organic chemistry module. (ISBN: 978-84-615-0441-1)
Conference oral and poster presentations:
- Dunne, J.L.* and Ryan, B.J. (2011) Listen. Re-listen. Podcasting for Feedback (and Feedforward) of Undergraduate Laboratory Reports. (poster). EdTech 2011. Waterford, June 1-2
- Ryan B.J.* and Dunne. J.L. (2011). Improving the undergraduate laboratory learning experience through on-line pre-lab resources, assessment redesign and formative feedback. (poster). EdTech 2011. Waterford, June 1-2
- Ryan B.J.* and Dunne. J.L.* (2011). Formative feedback strategies to improve science laboratory learning, its good to talk! The 11th Annual Dublin Institute of Technology Showcase of Teaching and Learning Innovations. Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland.
- Ryan B.J.* and Dunne. J.L. (2010). Classroom Response Devices ("Clickers"): Interactive quizzes for the common functional groups of organic chemistry. NDLRFest 2010: National Showcase of Digital Teaching and Learning Resources. Dublin, April 14.
- P. Nobmann*, J. Dunne, G. Henehan and P. Bourke. (2009)In vitro antimicrobial activity and mechanisms of action of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives against Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA. FEMS 2009. 3rd Congress of European Microbiologists, Gothenburg-Sweden, June 28-July 2 2009
- P. Nobmann*, A. Smith, J. Dunne, G. Henehan and P. Bourke (2008). Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives on food pathogens and food spoilage microorganisms. Food Micro conference 2008, Aberdeen-Scotland, 1st - 4th September 2008
- P. Nobmann, A. Smith, P. Bourke, J. Dunne and G. Henehan (2008). Synthesis, antimicrobial efficacy and structure/activity relationship of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives. 60th Irish Universities Chemistry Research Colloquium, University College Cork, 11th-13th June 2008
- A. Smith, P. Nobmann, J. Dunne, P. Bourke and G. Henehan (2007). Synthesis of novel carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives and the relationship of structure with anti-microbial efficacy. 59th Irish Universities Chemistry Research Colloquium, Dublin City University, 14th-15th June 2007
- O'Brien, J.L. and Murphy, P.V. Symposium Centre for Synthesis and Chemical Biology, Conway Institute, December 17th 2002 'Design and synthesis of Novel Carbohydrate based HIV Protease Inhibitors' (poster)
- O'Brien, J.L. and Murphy, P.V. Lipid Mediators of Inflammation and Thrombosis: From Chemical Synthesis and Bioactions to Novel Therapeutics, Conway Institute, September 12th 2002
- O'Brien, J.L. and Murphy, P.V. Synthesis of ?-D-allopyranosides by dihydroxylation of ?-D-erythro-2,3-dideoxyhex-2-enopyranosides. Eurocarb XI, Lisbon, Sept 2-7 2001
- Enright, P., O'Brien, J.L. and Murphy, P.V. Some novel hydroboration and oxidation reactions of glycals (PA056) Eurocarb X, Galway, July 11-16 1999
- Dunne, J. L, Ryan, B. and Meany, S. (2011). National Digital Learning Resources (NDLR) Pick and Mix Suite: A one-stop-shop for all you need to create innovative and engaging biochemistry practicals. LINCS Project partners : TCD, UCD.
- Dunne, J.L. (2011). Dublin Institute of Technology's Learning, Teaching and Technology Centre (LTTC) Personal Response Units Award (a.k.a. 'Clickers').
- Dunne, J.L.* and. Ryan B.J.* (2010). Dublin Institute of Technology SIF II Enhancement of Learning Teaching Fellowship. * contributed equally.
- Dunne, J.L., Bourke, P & Henehan, G. (2005) Design, synthesis and evaluation of anti microbial activity of carbohydrate fatty acid derivatives. TERS: Strand 1
- Dunne, J.L. (2004) Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel anti-tuberculosis drug candidates. TERS: Strand 1